Monday, January 23, 2012

2012--Off to a Busy Start

It's been so long since my last blog post!  The start of 2012 was so busy that I barely had anytime to do any leisurely solitary activities, so blogging took a temporary backseat to life.  So far this year, I've been much more comfortable with relaxing and doing "nothing" and I've been enjoying that.  Last Sunday, I spent the entire day watching TV.  I think that's the first time in my life I have done that when I wasn't sick.  I watched both football games (and both my teams, the Texans and the Packers, lost) and then I watched the Golden Globes.  Usually I can't sit in front of the TV that long because I just get antsy and I feel like I should be doing something more productive.  But last Sunday, nope, that wasn't the case.  I sat on the couch all day and it was wonderful.   I also watched most of the first football game yesterday and watched the Giants win in the 2nd game.  We'll definitely be rooting for the Giants in the superbowl! 

I was so busy I could barely catch my breath during the last week of 2011 and the first week of 2012.  We spent the new year in Houston--we had bought tickets to see our alma mater, Northwestern, play in a bowl game at Reliant Center in Houston.  They played on New Year's Eve against Texas A&M and sadly, we lost.  NU did put up a good fight though, so at least we didn't totally embarrass ourselves.  I had never been to Reliant stadium before and I was pleasantly surprised.  It was a really nice facility.  Everything was really large--Texas style--just how I like it.





I always have to get something to eat at sporting events so I got this giant baked potato with brisket on it.  I ate the vast majority of it AND we went out to eat after the game with one of my best friends, Jacquelyn, and her fiancee. 

Mark's Nachos
We had bought our plane tickets for this trip a few weeks before we actually went on Dec 30th.  Sadly and very unexpectedly, my aunt (my dad's sister) passed away on Dec. 28th.  This was a big shock to everyone and a great loss for my family.  I was very close to my aunt, as she had lived in Houston for as long as I can remember.  Growing up we were always over at their house and since I haven't been living in Houston, I often see her and my cousin when I am in town.  She flew all the way to Evanston to see me graduate from Northwestern and flew to NJ twice to attend special events--one being my wedding and her most recent trip was in May 2011, to see me receive my Ph.D.  We always spend Christmas Eve with them and my cousin makes a fantastic and special dinner.  She will definitely be missed this Christmas.
My Family Waiting for the Wedding to Start

Christmas Eve 2008
 I am glad we were able to attend her funeral and it was purely coincidental that we had already planned to be in Houston during that time.  I had a lot of aunts, uncles, and cousins fly into town for the funeral and although it was a very sad event, it was so wonderful to see everyone. I love spending time with my family and miss them so much!
My Cousin and Her Family

My Cousin's Son, Horatio, the Sweetest Boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...