Tuesday, January 24, 2012

New Yoga Class

 


I started this new Yoga class this past Monday.  It is a class that is offered through the local YMCA and the meeting place of the class is actually in my apartment building.  I have known about this class for a long time, but I never signed up for it for different reasons.  One big reason is that my work schedule was so unpredictable last year that I didn't feel like I could commit to signing up for this class.  I finally decided to as my doctor and my acupuncturist said that I really have to incorporate stretching into my life and I think I have a more predictable work schedule this year.  I've taken a few yoga classes before, so I'm familiar with several of the poses and try to stretch by myself in the evenings.  I thought taking a class would be nice though, just to have that time to myself and also remind me of some of the poses that I could add to my repertoire when I stretch by myself. 

Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of the class, and by class I mean instructor.  She talked almost the entire time on top of this instrumental CD that played the entire time and kept skipping.  Seriously lady, can you not buy a new CD or CD player?  Or get an ipod?  It is 2012 after all.  I only went to one class so far, so I guess I shouldn't be so judgmental.  Hopefully I'll be less bothered by her talking and the CD in the future.  Another thing I wasn't too fond of was that I felt we didn't hold the poses long enough.  I guess maybe there are different types of yoga that I'm not familiar with but I feel like I need a class where you get to spend time in the poses and be mindful of the stretch and of the moment.  In this class, there was a lot of movement and I would rather spend 3 minutes in a pose rather than 3 seconds.  I'll keep going to the class though because I've already paid for it, I don't think it can hurt, and it's in my apartment building so I don't really have a good reason to not go.  

***Update:  I went to my 2nd class yesterday and it was a little better than the first.  She still talks alot, but since I was more familiar with the moves, I didn't have to listen to her as much.  It was slightly more relaxing than the first class, so hopefully it'll continue to get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...