Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Grilled Vegetable Sandwich


I had my friend Aleah and her extremely cute baby girl over for lunch a few weeks ago.  Aleah has a fabulous blog called Nesting In New Jersey.  If you visit her blog, prepare to see some impressive party ideas!  We had a great time catching up...too much time goes by in between our visits with each other!

For lunch, I made us some grilled vegetable sandwiches.  This has been a "go to" dish of mine for years.  Pretty simple to make and relatively healthy.

I don't have a "recipe" per se.  Or I'm too lazy to type one out.  I basically take a zucchini, a yellow squash, and a small eggplant.  I slice the squash lengthwise and cut the eggplant into 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch rounds.  I marinate the veggies in olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  You can also flavor it with a little dried oregano, basil, salt and pepper.
Veggies in marinade.  I had more veggies than this--but I forgot to take a picture. 
 I drizzled some olive oil on my grill pan and grilled all the veggies.  Eggplant takes a little longer than the squash to grill.

To assemble the sandwich, I sliced a ciabatta roll in half lengthwise.  I layered some veggies on the bread and also added some roasted red peppers from a jar, then added some sliced fresh mozzarella cheese.  I also added a thin layer of pesto.  Using a clean grill pan, I coated it with cooking spray and placed the assembled sandwich on the pan.  I put a weight (a heavy pan) on top of the sandwich to weigh it down.  I let it grill for about 3 minutes, enough for the bread to crisp up and the mozzarella to melt.  Then I flipped the sandwich to toast the other side of it, about another 2-3 minutes. Easy Peas-y!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...