Friday, December 2, 2011

Spaghetti Sauce

I really don't like spaghetti sauce that comes in a jar.  I think I used to like it more, but in recent years I find that it is too tart and acidic for me.  A few years ago, my grandma gave my great grandmother's spaghetti sauce recipe and I've been making it ever since.  I like to use canned tomatoes without any herbs added so that I can control how strong I want the flavor of the herbs to be.  This dish is also nice because you can freeze the sauce and have it at a later time.

Spaghetti Sauce

Ingredients:
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 (28 oz) can of chopped tomato (no herbs added)
1/2 cup red wine
Dried Basil, to taste
Dried Oregano, to taste
Salt, to taste
Black Pepper, to taste
1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, roughly chopped

Directions:
Brown the beef over medium-high heat and drain the fat.  Add the garlic and onion and cook until onions are translucent.  Add the can of chopped tomato and red wine.  Season accordingly with basil, oregano, salt, and pepper.  Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.  Add parsley and simmer for another 10 minutes.  Let sauce cool slightly and transfer to blender to blend all the ingredients together. 
A Very Full Blender!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...