Friday, August 26, 2011

Creamy Chicken Baked Flautas

I saw this recipe on a blog I follow called For the Love of Cooking.  I thought it would be good with the green salsa I made earlier in the week, so I decided to give it a try.  Making this meal was especially nice because Mark and I made it together.  It made the prep time so much faster!  I adapted the recipe a little, using the ingredients I had on hand.  I actually thought this dish was just "OK".  Mark really liked it.  I'm not quite sure if I'll make it again yet...we'll see how the leftovers taste.  (Added note since I originally typed this:  I had it the next day as leftovers without the green salsa and with red salsa and sour cream instead.  I liked it much better.  I think it was the combination of having it with more flavorful salsa and I was really hungry when I came home from work).  One major perk of this dish is definitely how quick and easy it is to make.  My picture didn't turn out that great..I really need to buy some plain white plates.  I think that will photograph better.

I didn't put the measurements for the spices that I put on the chicken tenderloins because I just sprinkled a little bit of each onto the chicken before cooking.

Creamy Chicken Baked Flautas
Ingredients:
5 chicken tenderloins
Chili powder
Oregano
Salt
Black pepper
Cumin
2 small yellow onions (or 1 medium to large onion), diced
6 springs fresh cilantro, chopped
3 tbsp reduced fat cream cheese
3/4 cup Mexican Blend shredded cheese
1/4 tsp garlic powder
10 Flour tortillas
Cooking spray

Directions:
Sprinkle the following spices on the raw chicken: chili powder, oregano, salt, black pepper, and cumin.  Cook the chicken all the way through on a grill pan set to medium high heat, about 4 minutes on each side.  Remove chicken from the heat and let the meat rest for about 5 minutes.  Shred the chicken using 2 forks to pull the meat apart.

In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken, onion, cilantro, cream cheese, shredded cheese, and garlic powder until thoroughly mixed. 

Place 10 flour tortillas on a microwave-safe plate.  Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for 25 seconds, until soft and pliable.

Line a baking sheet with tin foil and spray with cooking spray.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Place chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla and roll the tortilla.  Place, seam side down, on the baking sheet.  After all the flautas are rolled and on the baking sheet, spray the tops of them with cooking spray.  Place in the oven for 10 minutes.  Turn each flauta over and bake for another 10 minutes until crispy and golden brown.  I put green salsa on mine, but it would also be good with red salsa or cheese sauce. 

1 comment:

  1. Yum! We love flautas! I'm going to have to try this out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...