Sunday, August 7, 2011

Kung Pao Chicken with Coconut Jasmine Rice

Recipe adapted from Cooking Light, December 2010

I have been a subscriber to Cooking Light for about six months now.  I always try to cook as healthily as possible and I thought this magazine had good recipes based on browsing it at the bookstore.  I must say though, the few recipes that I have tried have been disappointing.  Maybe I just haven't picked good ones to try, but I will keep trying more.  This Kung Pao Chicken recipe looked good, quick, and easy...my type of dish!  It makes about 4 servings.  My husband and I actually both enjoyed it and it's something I will consider making again. 

Coconut Jasmine Rice:
Combine 1 cup uncooked brown rice, 1 cup water, 1/2 light coconut milk, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil.  Cover and reduce heat to a simmer; cook 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.  Remove from heat; fluff rice with fork.  Stir in 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro.
           Sidenote:  If you are Asian, like me, you probably have a rice cooker.  (If you are Asian and you don't have a rice cooker, then I will judge you.)  I threw all the ingredients into the rice cooker (except for the cilantro) and pushed the button for it to cook.  When it was done cooking, I stirred in the chopped cilantro.

Kung Pao Chicken:

Ingredients:
2 tbsp dark sesame oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
3/4 cup water
3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper (about 1 large pepper)
1 cup snow peas, trimmed
1 handful chopped, dry-roasted peanuts

Directions:
1. Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add onion to pan; saute 3 minutes or until softened.  Add garlic; saute 30 seconds, stirring constantly.  Add chicken; saute 3 minutes or until chicken begins to brown.
2. Combine 3/4 cup water and the next 5 ingredients (through crushed red pepper), stirring with whisk until sugar dissolves.  Add water mixture to pan; bring to a boil.  Add bell pepper and snow peas to pan; cook for 2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender and sauce thickens.  Sprinkle with peanuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...