Sunday, August 7, 2011

Run Angela, Run!

This post doesn't really have to do with food, more to do with the consequences of my love of food.  I've been trying to work out more regularly lately, especially since my work schedule is a little bit lighter during the summer.  I've seen lots of people doing the "Couch to 5K" program on Facebook.  In the last two months or so, I've been using the treadmill at the gym and had gone through periods of walking while watching TV, walking while reading a magazine, and walking while listening to my ipod.  I felt that I had exhausted the different activities you could do while on a treadmill so I thought maybe I should do a "program" to keep me motivated. 

I have NEVER been a runner.  Like ever.  I still have memories of elementary school and junior high and having to take the state fitness test.  We had to be able to complete 1 mile in a certain period of time and I remember that I could NEVER do it easily!  It would take me several days of trying and trying in order to pass it...I think the gym teachers felt sorry for me.  It's never been my goal to "be a runner" or to do any time of long distance running.  I greatly admire people who have run a marathon but my personal opinion is why would you torture yourself like that?  It's just not for me.  I would, however, like to be able to run more than 2 blocks (literally), so if I could complete this program and just be able to slowly jog a 5K, I would be more than happy.

So far I've completed the first week of the program and yesterday I started the 2nd week.  I modify the program a little bit in that usually I warm up at 3.0 miles/hour for the first 3 minutes.  Then I do what the program says from 3 minutes until 30 minutes, followed by a cool-down of about 3-4 minutes.  I've also been trying to do it as often as my schedule allows, not just the 3 times a week.  Last week I did the Week 1 program 5 times and so far I have done the Week 2 program 2 times.  Sticking to the program makes the time on the treadmill go by faster because you can break it up into segments.  I hope I can stick to it!      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...