Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mushroom Blue Cheese Salad


This is one of Mark's favorite dishes and it is so easy to make.  If you like blue cheese, you'll probably like this too.  I use a small container (8 oz?) of cremini (baby portabello) mushrooms.  You could also use regular portabellos too.  I coursely chop them and saute it in some olive oil.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Whenever I cook mushrooms, I usually add a little red wine at the end just for a little extra flavor.  I add maybe a quarter of a cup of red wine and cook until most of the liquid dissipates.


While the mushrooms are cooking, in a large bowl I put in a bag of store-bought baby spring greens and sprinkle some crumbled blue cheese on top.  I make my own balsamic vinegarette by whisking together about 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar with 1/4 cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Pour the dressing on the salad and gently mix.

When the mushrooms are cooked, let them cool slightly, and pour them into the salad and gently mix.  The warmth of the mushrooms slightly wilts the salad and melds all the flavors together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...