Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Coconut French Toast with Grilled Pineapple


I must say that I made a delicious breakfast this past Saturday.  I found this recipe in an issue of Cooking Light and decided to give it a try.  I was slightly concerned it might be too sweet for me--I have more of a savory palate as opposed to a sweet one.  But it wasn't too sweet, it was just right.  The original recipe called for light coconut milk, but I used regular coconut milk since that's what I had on hand.  I used 5 (1-inch thick) slices of challah bread (shown below) but you could use whatever you like.  I also made some bacon by baking it in the oven...but that's for another post.

Coconut French Toast with Grilled Pineapple

Ingredients:
3/4 cup coconut milk (light or regular)
1/8 cup sugar
1/4 cup fat-free milk
2 large eggs
5 (1-inch thick) slices of challah bread
Cooking spray
3 (1/2-inch thick) slices peeled pineapple
1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut

Directions:
1. Combine coconut milk, sugar, fat-free milk, and eggs in a shallow dish, stirring with a whisk.  Working in batches, dip bread in the milk mixture and let stand for 1 minute on each side.

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, and coat pan with cooking spray.  Add coated bread slices to pan, and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until browned.  Repeat procedure in batches with cooking spray, remaining slices, and milk mixture.

3. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.  Add pineapple, and grill for 3 minutes on each side or until well marked.  Chop pineapple.


4. Place French toast on plate and divide the pineapple among the servings.  Top with coconut. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...